GENERAL INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE ROWERS
We are thrilled about your interest in the Shaker Crew. Shaker Crew offers competitive and recreational rowing for novice and experienced student-athletes at Shaker Junior and Senior High Schools. The goal of the program is to teach technical knowledge about rowing, instill healthy attitudes, challenge athletes to excel, and instill lifetime values regarding the importance of teamwork.
- Join the team - no rowing experience needed. Our learn to row is held in the Fall before school starts
- Try out our Summer Rowing session
- The team is always looking for more coxswains. If you are enthusiastic about motivating others, give coxing a try!
- Two competitive seasons are held in the fall and spring, with competition at the regional, state and national levels.
- There is year-round training with winter conditioning right at SHS between seasons. Stop by the Taft dining room to see what indoor rowing is all about!
Commitment is an integral part of Shaker Crew, and is required to withstand the physical demands of the sport, to raise money needed to sustain the team, and to keep Shaker Crew on the forefront of visibility at Shaker Junior and Senior High Schools. Shaker Crew exists not only because the athletes are committed to their sport, but also because the parents are committed to their rowers. This is a parent run organization. All Crew families are required to volunteer throughout the season. Time spent as families at regattas creates incredible and unique experiences - an often uncommon occurrence between teens and parents today!
If you'd like to learn more about becoming a part of Shaker Crew, we'd love to hear from you.
SHAKER CREW MISSION
Shaker Crew (Shaker Rowing Association) is a not-for-profit community based organization which serves as the primary support organization for Shaker Crew, a student club of the Shaker Junior and Senior High Schools. Shaker Rowing is composed of parents, students, coaches and community members, and supports rowing by providing coaching, equipment and training that instills technical knowledge and lifetime values for athletes of Shaker Junior and Senior High Schools.
Shaker Crew shares space with the Albany Boathouse which is located under the highway at the Corning Preserve (Colonie Street exit off I-787) , at the far end of the parking lot, adjacent to the Albany public Boat Launch at the start of the Corning Preserve Bike Trail.