Fall and Spring Seasons
- Both the fall and spring seasons provide rowing instruction, interscholastic scrimmages and competitive rowing experience.
- There will be regattas and scrimmages/meets for both High School and Modified rowers.
Modified (Middle School): mid September to approximately November 9
Varsity (High School): late August to approximately Nov 9
- Spring Season will begin mid-March for all grades 6-12 and will run until early June. It begins indoors at the High School and we get out on the water as soon as the ice is melted on the Hudson, anticipated mid-April.
- Dues for each season are between $700-$800. If you are in need of financial assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All rowers must have a swimming assessment on file. Swimming assessments are periodically held by the team at Shaker High School.
Who do I contact for help with Login and Registration?
Who can sign up?
- Shaker Middle and High School Students in grade 6 through 12.
- No experience needed/ no "try-outs"
- Must be able to swim and go through SRA swimming assessment. Our assessment has rowers swim 100 yards and tread for 10 minutes.
What do I wear?
- Athletes should wear or bring weather appropriate training clothes, including socks and sneakers.
- Athletes should be changed and ready to work out by the start of practice.
What do I need to know about the program and practice?
- During the fall and spring seasons, North Colonie will provide transportation from Shaker to the boathouse. Rowers are expected to be ready at Shaker HS by 4:00.
- Parents are responsible for pickup from the water at 6:30-6:45
- Bring water - stay hydrated!
Required Forms (For full season rowers; not required for Learn to Row or Summer.)
(1) Shaker Crew Medical Waiver Form is required at the beginning of the Fall season for each school year. It does not have to be resubmitted in the Spring unless there has been a change. (2) Code of Conduct is required at the beginning of the Fall AND Spring seasons for each school year. (3) US Rowing Waiver. Rowers will need to sign up for or renew an annual US Rowing Basic Membership on https://membership.usrowing.org/ ($9.75 admin fee). The process will include electronically signing a Waiver related to participation in Regattas. (4) Photo release form is required at the beginning of the Fall season for each school year. It does not have to be resubmitted in the Spring unless there has been a change.
In addition, a swimming assessment is required for all Learn to Row participants and new rowers. Shaker Rowing will conduct this assessment periodically at the High School. Rowers should be able to swim for 100 yards and tread for 10 minutes. This is only required once per rower.
ALL FORMS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO REGISTRAR CHRISSY HARKAVY IN PERSON OR SCANNED AND EMAILED TO CHRISSY.HARKAVY@GMAIL.COM
Please note, for returning rowers- we have transitioned to a new registration system. You will be prompted to set up a new account.
All are welcome to join! No experience necessary! Please email email@example.com if financial assistance is needed.
The first few weeks of practice is held at Shaker. In mid-April when the weather is warmer, practices are held on the Hudson River at the Albany Boathouse, located at the Boat Launch site at the Corning Preserve, Colonie Street, off Route 787. North Colonie provides a school bus ride to the Hudson River for weekday practice. Parents pick up rowers from the Hudson River at the end of each practice. Parents are also responsible for all transportation to any weekend practices and regattas.
When: March 20 start. Weekly practice days will vary due to coach school and work commitments. Practice schedules will be emailed out each week.
•For Middle School, practice March 20 to mid April will be at the Middle School 3:00 to 4:00.
• For High School, practice March 20 to mid-April will be at the High School 2:30 .to 4:00
• Practice time will shift when we get out on the river.
Where: Shaker Middle and High Schools and
The Albany Boathouse, located at the boat launch at Corning Preserve
Who: North Colonie students, grades 6-12
Cost: $700 for grades 6-8, $790 for grades 9-12
What to Wear: Weather appropriate athletic-type clothing. Socks and sneakers. Keep in mind that you may get wet!
What to Bring: A bottle of water and a change of clothes.
What to Expect: During this session we will continue to work on our skills and techniques on and off the water. Rowers will be participating in scrimmages and high school and modified regattas.